Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Why Blog?


Image result for blog

Why blog?  Why are so many people around the world engaging in this new art form of blogging?  This is my first venture in a more "professional" blog.  I have another blog that I have been writing for about a year and a half on my personal life and children. From this blogging experience, I have learned a great number of things and would encourage anyone toying with the idea of starting a blog to DO IT!

Clive Thompson's article "Why Even the Worst Bloggers Are Making Us Smarter," is definitely worth the read.  The world is more connected than any other time in history.  We have the opportunity to share our thoughts, dreams, ideas to a wider audience when we blog.  Not only that, through blogging we have the chance to get FEEDBACK.  This is amazing!  In real time, we are able to know what others think about our ideas.  They may affirm our thoughts, or disagree with them.  Either way, it makes us, the author, think more deeply about what we are sharing.  It's basically a "win-win."  The writer grows as they write and consider feedback.  The reader grows as they learn and process new information, in addition to interacting with the author.  As ideas are shared, something magical happens!

"The fact that so many of us are writing — sharing our ideas, good and bad, for the world to see — has changed the way we think. Just as we now live in public, so do we think in public. And that is accelerating the creation of new ideas and the advancement of global knowledge." - Clive Thompson

It's amazing to think about accelerating the creation of new ideas.  I want to be a part of that!  I don't want to be left behind!  The world is moving at a blinding pace.  You better hold on and be ready for a wild ride!  

As mentioned earlier, I have been writing a blog for over a year.  It is basically a place to chronicle my life and adventures with my family.  As trivial as it is, I have learned so much about an online community and have grown immensely. 

A few of the things I have learned from blogging:

1. I learn from interacting from people all over the world.  This is probably my favorite thing about blogging.  As I read and respond to other blogs, the authors respond back and I interact with people all over the globe.  A few days ago I chatted with a 13 year old girl in Cairo, Egypt about the clothes she was designing and making.  There is a lady in New Zealand who comments on EVERY post I make and I feel like we are now old friends.  A mom of 4 in England and I often chat about the craziness of raising children.  I LOVE THIS!  I learn about what is like to live in other parts of the world and how we are all similar.

2. I have meaningful things to say.  When I first began my blog I really didn't know if anyone would read what I wrote, much less actually like what I wrote.  The people who responded are encouraging and understanding.  It's like having a little online support system.  The validation from others is amazing and makes me want to write more.  Presently, I have about 190 followers.  They may not all read my blog every day, but I do have people read what I write each time.  I still pinch myself when I see that people are visiting my site daily - especially when I can see what countries they come from.

3.  I have become a much better writer.  I never really considered myself a "writer."  I have always been a Math/Science person.  English/Language Arts was not my area of strength in school - I was okay, but not stellar.  What I have found is it is so true - the more you write, the better you get.  Also the easier it is to write more.  I never thought I would get to the point where I enjoy writing, but I am there.  I would love to write and read blogs all day!

4.  I have learned the online etiquette of blogging. When I first began, I didn't really know the "rules" to blogging.    A big issue is giving credit when using photos, quotes, etc...  Bloggers do not like it if you don't!  Additionally, if you take the time to read a post, leave a comment.  It doesn't take long, but bloggers are always appreciative of feedback, affirmation and encouragement.  Usually, if you leave feedback, they will follow your blog and become one of your readers.  Some bloggers host "Meet and Greets" where different bloggers leave their blog sites for others to visit and follow.  It's a great way to network and meet new bloggers.

5.  I have learned how to find my own learning. As I mentioned earlier, I pretty much knew nothing about blogging when I began.  Nothing.  Turns out, the writing is the easy part.  I had to learn how to manipulate the website: set up "about me" page, layout, photos, etc...  It's a lot to take in and make your site attractive and readable for visitors.  I had absolutely no idea how to do this.  There are sites where you can interact with other bloggers and ask them questions, as well as ask them to go to your site and provide feedback.  I asked others to look at my layout, font, theme for my blog and make suggestions.  I asked specific questions about how to manipulate different settings on the blog - I am not a natural tech genius.  I also learned from reading other's questions and answers.  Overall, I learned to be resourceful and find the information I needed from others - to create my own learning.

So the question remains: Why blog?  A better question is: Why not?  Even if  you just jot down a few lines, it's definitely worth the effort!



Photo credit: http://www.theblogstarter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment